Saturday, February 24, 2007

IF07: Housekeeping Galore + Special Project #1


Monday afternoon through Thursday morning this past week were filled with housekeeping duties, from sweeping and taking out solid waste to sweeping and mopping, to sweeping, mopping, and bathroom cleaning. There might even have been some more sweeping and mopping. But of course I did it efficiently as ever and had time to offer other activities, like scraping tape off bathroom walls in Scheuer (left over, I think, from the last time the ceilings were painted, perhaps 10 years ago).

Also, since Wednesday afternoon, I've been consulting with Ben (bookstore manager) about new software. He's been suffering without easy ability to receive new products and document sales in what has become primarily a consignment store than a traditional retail gift shop. I found one point of sale application, Checkout, that seemed a good fit, particularly its simplicity and ease of use. However, I've determined it's a bit too simple and doesn't yet have the range of capabilities the store needs or soon will. In particular, as a relatively new package, it doesn't have a Web store module, which will soon be a necessity.

So, yesterday, I stumbled across another application, also developed exclusively for Mac OS X: Xsilva LightSpeed. A new version 2 is due out later this month—what's left of it—and it's far more complete and configurable for different kinds of businesses. It's also more in the price range Freedman was expecting to pay. However, it will require a much faster computer than the bookstore currently has, so I've recommended the purchase of a new (refurbished) iMac, along with the other sales accessories the counter will need—barcode scanner, cash drawer, receipt printer—all compatible with each other and the software.

Ben and I will be forming our timeline tomorrow, which is fast paced as Adam has now unauthorized him from ordering any new items until the new software is in place. I plan to contact Xsilva on Monday to ask more questions about our needs and calling some of its users and find out about their experiences so far. Hopefully by Tuesday afternoon, Ben and I will be pitching the package to Adam and Ari who will make a decision by close of business Wednesday. Then, we can proceed with ordering and I'll be setting everything up within a week, starting to learn how it all works together, and training Ben. Welcome to Super Ben's first special project of 2007!

Also, I received in the mail this week three books I'd ordered, which will provide a basis of content for my sabbatical learning process. I had found Jill Hammer's new Jewish Book of Days: A Companion for All Seasons and decided it would be a great beginning. I also had at home Dave Smith's (of Smith & Hawken) To Be of Use: The Seven Seeds of Meaningful Work. Beyond these, I also purchased The Better World Handbook: From Good Intentions to Everyday Actions and The Creation: An Appeal to Save Life on Earth, by E. O. Wilson. I just discovered, though, that this edition of The Better World Handbook is six years old and somewhat out of date, so I might return it in exchange for the brand new edition, subtitled, Small Changes That Make a Big Difference. Finally, I had bought Worldchanging: A User's Guide for the 21st Century when it came out during the fall, and that too is on my shelf as a prime resource this year.

So, since Ben's first name is already taking that isabellafreedman.org address, I will soon have a new email alias, as recommended by Adam: superben@…. And Adam has officially informed the staff that I am the go-to guy for any computer issues, before calling Yosh.

Finally, more people are discovering the full range of my skills and my ability to integrate and bring productivity and effective action to different parts of the community, and they seem to agree that hiring me full time with a fuller, contract-free salary would be a worthy investment for Freedman. Time will tell as the year pushes on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home