Monday, October 30, 2006

Saturday Fun

A week ago Saturday I took a most challenging hike up to the overlook. Rather than the normal route, I instead hiked to the peak, which is no more than a hundred paces to the overlook. Then, I cut off to the right and walked down and around to beneath the rocks that form the overlook cliff. And then what did I do? I hiked crawled up the cliff. It was the type of rock climbing thrill where there were times when I said to myself, "There's no turning back now. I have to find a way to the top." This was normally after moments when I had to propel myself up to a new handhold, using momentum and trust.

About halfway up, Jonathan, Naf, and Benjy appeared to my right, on their hike down the backside trail. Then, about 30 feet from the top, I looked up to see Tamuz, Kristen, and others looking over the edge and calling me crazy. I lost no confidence in my destination and continued to squirm my way up. There's a small pine just beneath the top that I was able to use as a foothold and push my self up to peak over the edge and surprise Casey and Aaron, the only two left to see. So, I rested there for 30 seconds before reaching over and pulling myself up to the surface.

I stayed only for a moment before I left to catch up with the guys, who were planning to check out the caves Jonathan and I had discovered a month before off the blue trail. Two weeks before this return visit, I helped JR reblaze some of the trails and we used yellow CAUTION tape to mark an unworn trail to these caves.

This past Saturday, organized by Shir Ya'akov, we had our first Freedman music recording session in the Bet K'nesset (synagogue). As a first experience and a pilot run for Shir, it was really somewhere in between jam and recording, and Shir realized that he or someone needs to be seated at the mixer with the headphones to monitor the recording full-time. Otherwise, voices too far from microphones get lost. It was a fun time, though, with lots of great songs sung. And there will be followup sessions to sing more songs associated with ADAMAH and Teva.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home